Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Flat-Out Celeste by Jessica Park

This book...this book...I am in LOVE with this book.  I keep thinking that Jessica Park can't out do herself, but with each new release I am blown away.  This is a "sort of " sequel to Flat-Out Love but you don't necessarily have to read it to enjoy FOC....but do yourself a favor and read FOL, it is also, that good. 


First let's talk about Celeste, she is, in one work A-mazing (capital A intended).  I love her quirkiness, her honesty, her bravery...and she reminds me of a certain girl I know.  And while my girl has different quirks and idiosyncrasies, they definitely have a lot in common, especially the bravery part.  I celebrated when people started to see Celeste for who she is and loved her because of that, not in spite of it. 


Now Justin, he is probably one of my favorite male characters of all time (maybe a close second to Matt from FOL).  I love that she focuses more on their personality and brains and less on how they look.  Justin is quirky, and sweet, and scattered...perfection...if I were still in college, Justin would definitely be my crush.


This is a somewhat timely review...warning it's about to get personal.  My girl is actually part of a trio...yup triplets, two girls and a boy.  Yesterday my daughter, D,  told me that a group of boys were discussing why they would never date my girl.  D, who I might add, would make a KICK ASS character in her own right (feisty red head, smart, funny, compassionate but willing to take on the world if you mess with her family).  But I digress, she went up to said boys and told them that they would be LUCKY to date my girl and there was not a chance in hell that she would date a bunch of clowns.  She then told me her group of friends were equally upset...they all see my girl for who she is...a cool, quirky, compassionate, kid.  This book gave me hope that there are people out there in the great big world that see people for who they really are...especially my girl.


Favorite Justin quote: 


"I am staggered by you.  I am intoxicated by you.  I think about you way more than I should."  ssssiiiggghhhhhh


Favorite Celeste quote:


"You taught me that I am allowed to like myself just as I am, at whatever stage I am in.  I can change, I can stay the same, or I can be whoever it is that is right for me; but I can be satisfied.  No, more that that.  I can be proud.  I can celebrate."


So, so, so good.

Book Description via Amazon

May 22, 2014  

For high-school senior Celeste Watkins, every day is a brutal test of bravery. And Celeste is scared. Alienated because she's too smart, her speech too affected, her social skills too far outside the norm, she seems to have no choice but to retreat into isolation.

But college could set her free, right? If she can make it through this grueling senior year, then maybe. If she can just find that one person to throw her a lifeline, then maybe, just maybe.

Justin Milano, a college sophomore with his own set of quirks, could be that person to pull her from a world of solitude. To rescue her--that is, if she'll let him.

Together, they may work. Together, they may save each other. And together they may also save another couple--two people Celeste knows are absolutely, positively flat-out in love.

Whether you were charmed by Celeste in Flat-Out Love or are meeting her for the first time, this book is a joyous celebration of differences, about battling private wars that rage in our heads and in our hearts, and--very much so-- this is a story about first love.

No comments:

Post a Comment