Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

For the people who read my blog (all four of you lol) I tend to *like* many of the books I review.  It is not that I have never met a book I didn't like, it is more that I don't really finish books I don't love.  I am not a professional reviewer, I am a librarian, and because of that I try to stay on top of what is popular, trending, critically reviewed ect.  But I am not bound to finish a book I hate...sooooo my reviews tend to be positive.  Which is fine.  Until you read a book that is *so good*, that you want to jump up and down and scream - READ THIS BOOK NOW!!!  I know I have said that before but I mean it now, really, trust me...

So I try not to write too much personal stuff on this blog, but I am going out on the proverbial limb now, because this book touched me on so many levels.  As a parent of a child with special needs I guess the reasons seem obvious why I loved this book - I have that kid, the one that people sometimes look at, the one that one darling classmate described as retarded.  (On a side note, that peach of a kid has not seen this side of the honor roll. While my girl has been on it - every.single.semester. But I digress.)  She just has a different way of communicating, of seeing the world and she is awesome - but sometimes people miss that. 

There are so many other reasons why I loved, loved loved this book.  We all have felt like Auggie, God knows I did in middle school.  There were times reading this book that I literally cried from the memories of mean, hateful kids.  But I also think we have been (or are capable of being) Julian - the mean kid.  And we have to remember that lives inside everyone too.  BUT we can overcome that part and remember what Mr. Tushman imparts to the class:  "be kinder than necessary"  Isn't that something we should be teaching our kids - reminding ourselves!!!


WonderBook Description via Amazon


Publication Date: March 1, 2012

"Wonder" is the funny, sweet and incredibly moving story of Auggie Pullman. Born with a terrible facial abnormality, this shy, bright ten-year-old has been home-schooled by his parents for his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the stares and cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, Auggie is being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it. The thing is, Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, underneath it all? Through the voices of Auggie, his big sister Via, and his new friends Jack and Summer, "Wonder" follows Auggie's journey through his first year at Beecher Prep. Frank, powerful, warm and often heart-breaking, "Wonder" is a book you'll read in one sitting, pass on to others, and remember long after the final page.

No comments:

Post a Comment